Direct Add allows you to add new contacts to your Bronto account via a special img tag that you place on your site. On the back end, the img tag is associated with a Direct Add URL. Once added to your site, when the contact clicks the img tag, the Direct Add URL captures the email address for a contact, associates any specified contact field data with the contact record, adds him or her to the appropriate lists or SMS keywords, and (if configured) sends a message to the contact.
The Direct Add URL is broken into two parts. The first part of the URL is given to you as part of the code snippet contained in the Direct Add section on the Data Exchange page. This is unique to each account which allows the application to identify your account and it includes information that lets Bronto know how to process the data that follows. The second part of the URL contain parameters that you define which represent the data you want to associate with the contact. This can include contact field data and any lists or SMS keywords you want to add contacts to.
All contacts added using Direct Add will be given the same contact status that you define in Bronto. Based on this status, you may want to configure Direct Add to send contacts an email as they are added. There are a few reasons to send a message with Direct Add. First, you could send a welcome message in order to start the automated onboarding process as part of adding contacts. Second, you could send a message that contains a Manage Preferences webform in order to allow contacts to provide more information about themselves and manage their message preferences. Finally, if you are adding unconfirmed contacts you could send a message with a Subscription Confirmation webform in order to provide double opt-in as part of the Direct Add process.
In order to configure the Direct Add URL, you will need to have access to the Bronto platform.
To configure Direct Add:
- If you plan to send a message to contacts as part of the Direct Add process, use Bronto to design your message.
If you plan on using a webform in your message, use Bronto to configure the webform and make sure the link to the webform is clearly visible in the message.
- Log into Bronto and navigate to Home->Settings->Data Exchange.
- In the Direct Add section, select the Enable Direct Add for adding new contacts checkbox.
- Select the contact status to assign to contacts who are imported using Direct Add from the Add contacts with the following status list.
- Onboarding: Use this to identify new contacts who have opted into receiving marketing messages. These contacts will still need to go through the automated onboarding process before they become active.
- Unconfirmed: Use this to identify new contacts who have not opted into receiving marketing messages. These contacts will need to opt-in before being sent marketing messages. One way to manage this is to use the Subscription Confirmation webform.
- Transactional: Use this to identify new contacts who can only be sent transactional messages.
- Optional: To send a message to a contact who clicks the Direct Add URL:
- Select the Send a welcome message check box.
- Use the Send a welcome message list to choose whether to send the message to all contacts to only to new contacts.
- Select the message to send by clicking Pick, clicking on the message in the dialog box, then clicking Select.
- Enter the name you want contacts to see in the From Name box.
- Enter the email address you want contacts to see in the From Address box.
- Optional: Select the Create Tracking Cookie check box to create a cookie for any contact that is added using Direct Add.
This cookie is used to identify the contact for the purpose of associating actions with the contact, such as placing orders or using direct update.
- Copy the img tag and paste it into a text editor so you can add additional data parameters to it.
- In Bronto, click Save to enable Direct Add in the platform.
- In your text editor add any additional contact fields you want to associate with the contact as additional parameters in the Direct Add URL.
You can only pass values into existing contact fields using the
setoperator. The format for adding a contact field is:
&This is a required separator.
field#=This is required to identify the field parameter as unique. Replace # with a number and do not reuse the same number more than once per contact field in the URL.
contactfield,This is the name of the contact field in Bronto.
set,This is the operator that tells Bronto how to manage the field information. Currently you can only use set to add the fieldvalue you provide to the contact field.
fieldvalueThis is the data you want to pass into the contact field. Typically you will want to include a variable that was configured to capture information from the code on the page here. But you do have the option of passing in an exact value.
&field1=first,set,'+firstname+'will import the data captured for the contact using the
firstnamevariable you configured and import this data into the first contact field in Bronto. The platform supports adding up to 20 contact fields.
- Add the list ID for any lists you want to add imported contacts to as additional parameters in the Direct Add URL.
The platform supports adding up to 20 lists. The format for adding a list parameter is:
&This is a required separator.
list#=This is required to identify the list parameter as unique. Replace # with a number and do not reuse the same number more than once per list in the URL.
listID,The list ID is the API ID for a list, not the list name. You can find a list ID by using the readLists call or by looking in the bottom-right corner on the list’s page in the platform.
- Add the SMS keyword ID for any SMS keywords you want to subscribe imported contacts to as additional parameters in the Direct Add URL.
Your account must have SMS enabled to use this feature. The platform supports adding up to 20 SMS keywords.
Note: If you add the contact to an SMS keyword you will need to capture a valid mobile phone number in a contact field.
The format for adding an SMS keyword parameter is:
&This is a required separator.
smsKeywordID#=This is required to identify the SMS keyword parameter as unique. Replace # with a number and do not reuse the same number more than once per SMS keyword in the URL.
SMSkeywordID,The SMS keyword ID is the API ID for an SMS keyword, not the name. You can find the ID by using the readSMSKeywords call or by looking in the bottom-right corner on the SMS keyword’s page in the platform.
- Save the updated img tag.
- Configure the variables that are used to capture the fieldvalues for a contact then add this code and the Direct Add img tag to your site.